Culture Night is an all-island public event where arts and cultural organisations and venues of all shapes and sizes, including the National Cultural institutions, extend their opening hours to provide the public with access to exhibitions, performances, workshops and other cultural activities which reflect the diversity of culture in County Cork. Special and unique events and workshops are specifically programmed at participating locations and everything is available free of charge. Culture Night has become a much loved annual event thanks to the venues, organisations, performers and volunteers who get involved, offering people a unique opportunity to participate, experience and engage with this county’s unique and vibrant cultural sector.
Culture Night has grown from a relatively small scale cultural event staged only in Dublin in 2006 to the significant national cultural event that it now is, with some 350,000 people visiting museums, galleries, historic houses, artists’ studios and cultural centres across the country. Cork County has been participating in Culture Night since 2010 and the initiative has captured both the public imagination and the enthusiasm of of artists and cultural organisations.
Aside from being a fantastic event, Culture Night can have a lasting impact on communities. Since its inception, Culture Night has:
- Proven to be a wonderful opportunity for new and established arts and cultural groups or individuals to build a profile for themselves and the work they do.
- Provided a valuable platform to reach new audiences and last year, over 6000 people attended events all over the county.
- Served as an annual reminder about the fantastic cultural facilities and resources that we have locally and nationally.
- Made it easier for people to play a role in their local cultural scene and helped create a sense of community and belonging.
- Culture Night also provides valuable opportunities for networking between local organisations
Cork County Council is delighted to host a full programme of exciting cultural events at the County Hall and County Library buildings, Carrigrohane Road.
For more information on these events or events happening around the county, please contact:
The Cork County Arts Office,
County Library Building.
Tel: 021 4346210